Sunday, July 11, 2010

Farmin' it up in the city...

I live in a big city. I grew up in a small city. I've been surrounded by buildings my entire life. But as a child, I spent lots of time in my grandparent's garden weeding, picking and planting anything and everything. Some of that earth sunk into my soul and, although I'm terrible at getting green things to grow, I love fresh-from-the-soil fruits and veggies.

So, this summer when Farmers Markets started springing up all over Prague, I was up and out early on Saturday mornings to collect the lovely produce for my fridge. This past Saturday I spent the morning at Dejvice. The market covers all your basic needs. Of course there are the standard fruit and veg stands, with a sprinkling of herbs thrown in for good measure. There are also stands for goat cheese, turkey, kolbasa and sausage, baked goods, field mushrooms, grilled carp, fresh juices, honey and bee products...and on and on. It's really a foodie's dream.

This weekend I brought home parsley to do up some traditional tabouleh along with some tomatoes, onion and cucumber, sweet cherries because when it is cherry season I can't resist, sprigs of mint for cooling mojitos, 5 liters of fresh apple/carrot juice and turkey kolbasa.

Check out a Farmers Market near you:

for Prague 10 and 2- www.farmarsketrziste.cz/kde-nas-najdete

for Prague 6- www.farmarske-trhy.cz




1 comment:

Jamie Garlick said...

I love all the fresh produce! That's the best part of summer. We have a really small piece of earth outside our apartment here in WA, that I planted a few things. It's been fun to watch them grow, and cook with the basil. The tomatoes aren't ready yet, and the zucchini just have a few blossoms. Hopefully they'll be ready before we have to move back to UT in a couple weeks!