Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Co Mohamedu Mekka, to Čechu Říp


"What Mecca is to Muhamed, that is Říp to the Czechs" so goes the saying in yellow letters across the pub at the top of Říp Mountain.

I use the word mountain loosely because it is actually more of a hill. It takes about 25 minutes to climb, but don't think it is easy. The incline will challenge muscles in hard to reach places. (I run 4 times a week and it still winded me!)

The legend of Říp is that in a distant time there were two brothers, Čech and Lech who were leading their Slavic family clans across middle Europe.

When Čech climbed to the top of Říp he looked out over the land that would one day be the Czech Republic and said he could see a land of milk and honey. He and his family stayed and founded the Czech people. (Lech moved further north and founded Poland.)

As I looked out over the golden land and quaint villages, I understood Čech all the way to my bones. I want to stay in this land too.




www.hora-rip.cz

No comments: