Thursday, May 9, 2013

You Should Get Off Your Feet

Ever had someone tell you this? "You should really get off your feet for awhile and rest?"

Well, for the past two weeks that has been my life. I've been (literally) off my feet because I've got both legs in casts. The reasons are mysterious and medically complicated, let's just say that some bacteria made my ankles the size of grapefruits, and unusable.

So, why am I writing about this on a travel blog? Good question! The answer is that I have been faced with the unpleasant reality that my recent exotic travels may (or may not...nobody knows yet) have contributed to this long stint of sitting on my back side.

Except a couple bouts of bad food, I've never been ill when traveling... or even
afterwards. This is a totally new possibility in my brain. And it has led me to the uncomfortable question of, "Would I go back and do it again?" The answer has to be YES. In the words of my very wise grandmother, you just can't be afraid to live.

A million bad things can happen to you in a million places, both far and near. If you try to avoid anything bad ever touching you, you will never touch anything.

So, will I be going back to Asia? You bet. Will I take a trip to Africa one day? It's on my life's list of things to do. Will I hike in the US and Europe knowing there are ticks? Of course, beauty is stronger than fear.

You just can't be afraid to LIVE.

No comments: