Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Vietnam: PHU QUOC ISLAND (part 4)

I'm not a person who sits down when they have a holiday. I like to be on the go. I like holidays when my feet are always moving and there's something new on the schedule everyday. So I must admit I was a bit skeptical when my travel buddy wanted to incorporate a beach on an island into our itinerary. But travel is about trying new things and compromise so I was willing to give it a shot.

That is how I found myself on Phu Quoc Island for 5 days. It didn't convert me into a beach bum, but it certainly enlightened me to the joys of a beach rest.

Phu Quoc is a little island nestled between Cambodia and Vietnam with a checkered past. It has been, and continues to be, disputed territory which Cambodia and Vietnam both claim. During The American War (as the Vietnamese call what the West refers to as The Vietnam War) it was used to keep prisoners. And now it is in the midst of a transformation from a rural agricultural backwater into a booming tourist destination. Give it about 5 years and I bet it'll rank up there with beaches in Thailand and Indonesia.

We arrived around dinner time. It had been a long long day for me because I was suffering from a bout of 24-hour "traveler's stomach". This is not something you want to experience when you have to catch two domestic flights (Hoi An-Saigon-Phu Quoc). However, I was in very capable hands with Edi and she was a god-send, taking amazing care of my sick self.

Bamboo Cottages
But all this anguish disappeared as soon as we settled into Bamboo Cottages. It was a little bit of paradise. There are little cottages that run several hundred meters along the beach front. Meals are served on simple wood tables that face the ocean. The water is clear and warm. I was smitten.

The second day we spent relaxing and exploring around our new little home. We rented kayaks and paddled out to an island for some snorkeling. It was my first snorkeling go, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. (A big thanks to my little sister who was adamant that I try snorkeling!)

Little friends M and B kayaking
We also became acquainted with the cook's daughters, two little girls of 9 and 10. B and M were my language buddies. You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher! We spent each evening playing language games and learning basic vocabulary. "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" was a tremendous success! They also taught me some Vietnamese, giggling endlessly at my terrible pronunciation. Bright and innovative and creative and curious, I could see in these two little ones what the next generation of Vietnamese have to offer their country.

The third day we took a day tour to the southern tip of Phu Quoc. We enjoyed a boat trip, fishing, snorkeling and beautiful scenery. During the van transport to the boat we also stopped to visit a pearl farm, a fish sauce factory (SMELLY!), Coconut Prison Museaum and a fruit orchard. We certainly got our money's worth!

The last day we stayed close to our cottage. Our trip was winding down. Only Ho Chi Minh City was left to explore and then we'd be headed home to cold cold cold Europe....



No comments: