Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Part 4: New York City





Our last long drive was across Pennsylvania. We found a cute little town to stay in just off the highway and we also found two of my favorite friends, Jan and Katie. They were also headed to the Big Apple to spend some quality time with H and I.

I'd been to NYC twice before but this time I really "got"the city. I fell for her, hard. The sun shone softly. The wind blew through my hair. People passed by on all sides. The city is full and busy and overwhelming and moving and alive. I fell in love with that life. I'll be happy to go back to NYC again and I'm sure that I will.

We did the Empire State Building, of course. It is a must. We ate at Katz's Deli (www.katzdeli.com). We strolled along the streets of China Town and Little Italy, soaking in two worlds at once. We went to Times Square. It is a place where you see that life goes on, it doesn't stop or sulk or panic. Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art gave us peace in a bustling city. And we ate Indian at a hole-in-the-wall in Queens that was so good we went back two nights in a row.

At the end of our time in NYC, I was full of friendship, experiences, good food and happiness. I was ready to sleep in my own bed again but I knew I'd be dreaming about hugs and oceans and lighthouses and seashells and smiles and driving and all the good things I love about America.

No comments: