Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Lost Continent

I'm on a Bill Bryson kick. This is my second book in so many weeks. I like his play with words, the abundance of fun adjectives and the sarcasm that makes you wince and then laugh out loud.

I picked up The Lost Continent because soon I will be on my own road trip through the North East US with my sweet boyfriend, his mother and his sister. This is a trip H and I have done together several times, and he wanted to give to his mom as her "trip of a lifetime". It'll be an adventure. Stay tuned for updates, photos and more.

What I love about Bryson's book is that although it is over 20 years old, it is still so relevant. He points out the good of America- kind people, gorgeous nature, abundance of nearly everything.

But yet he also, with dry humor, brings out the less than desirable aspects of life in the continental US. He address such questions as: Where are the small mom and pop stores? (They've been eaten by chains.) Why do we tear down old historic things to build new ugly things?

Bill Bryson has inspired me. I'm ready to go, to meet, to embrace and to laugh...Here we go!

No comments: