Saturday, May 28, 2011

Noc kostelu/Night of Churches



Prague is known as the city of a thousand spires. Once look at the skyline shows a history of devout builders of churches and cathedrals. A new way to experience some of these beautiful structures Prague's annual Noc Kostelů/Night of Churches.

This event began last year and was inspired by a similar Night of Churches held in Vienna. Throughout the city, churches open their doors and hold special events during the evening. A small booklet and map list what's available and when. You can collect stamps in the back of booklet to show which churches you have visited. There are nearly a hundred churches that participate.

Last year I found out about the Night of Churches late so I decided to explore the churches in my neighborhood. It was great to pop into buildings that I probably never would have gone out my way to visit in my normal day. I was treated to an organ concert, free cookies and a host of kind people.

This year we concentrated on Prague 1. We visited churches that we walk by daily but barely register. My favorite was a water and light show at St Salvador, near Charles Bridge. As a choir sang, an artist used a pool of water and a reflecting light to project images until the ceiling of the basilica. It was magical.

Keep a lookout next May for the Night of Churches!

No comments: