Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Going Greek: Zorbas Restaurant

My appetite for nearly any type of cuisine can be met by Prague. There is a heavy helping of Chinese, Italian, Vietnamese, American, Afghani, Indian, and Czech to name just a few. However, I haven't had luck finding a Greek restaurant that really does it for more. Don't get me wrong, there are Greek restaurants in Prague. They have nice ambiance. The food smells enticing. The owners are Greek, smiling and happy. But I alway walk away feeling like I'm missing that something that makes a meal really work.

On the recommendation of several people, I decided to check out Zorbas. It is located just off of Vaclavske Namesti. It was clean and sunny and the owner was very cordial. I had high hopes. However, I must report that once more that something just wasn't hear either. The food was good, and cheaper than other Greek places I've been to in Prague. But the meals weren't cheap, and for the price paid I expected more than just skewer-grilled chicken with a dab of picked vegetables on the side for the mixed grill plate or a square of not-quite-hot-enough mousaka with tomatoes on the side.

The taste was fine but for half the price I think I'll stick with the little Turkish bistros popping up all over town. There's a good one on Jindrisska ulice if you are in the mood for nice eggplant...maybe I'll head that way now!

No comments: