Thursday, January 20, 2011

Miniature trains and big taste


I met a friend for lunch this week. Actually, I do that often because as I have raved on this blog before the lunch specials in Prague make cooking or packing a lunch obsolete. She said to meet her "under the horse". So I dutifully went to Muzeum metro, exited to Wenceslas Square and found her standing under the statue of Saint Wenceslas, who is featured sitting on a horse.

My friend M promised a "fun" lunch. Hmm, fun? We entered a glass fronted building and walked up the wooden spirally steps. As we emerged into the restaurant, I felt a wave a childhood engulf me. The restaurant was abuzz with the sound of model trains. The tables were divided by model train tracks and small model homes and stores and trees. Vytopna restaurant was definitely themed around model trains. The child in me jumped up and down; the adult in me stood still and said, "Yes, M, this is a "fun" lunch!"

The lunch menu consists of soup for 20,-kc and then three main dishes ranging from 59,-kc to 99,-kc. Beware that the daily menu is only in Czech and the normal menu is significantly more costly. So, if your menu Czech isn't up to par then I recommend taking a good dictionary or a good Czech friend. Also, the daily menu isn't for the vegetarians out there.

We ordered our drinks, which came to the table on a little train! We had the kielbasa served with a side of spicy kidney beans. It was YUMMY! And FUN! Choo choo, all aboard for a hearty cheap lunch in the center of Prague!

www.praha-en.vytopna.cz/praha/

No comments: