Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Ballet Critic in One Act


Ok, I admit that I am the worst person in the world to critic ballet. Firstly, I have never been that physically disciplined in my whole life...ever. Secondly, I know nothing about ballet really. And last, but most importantly, I'm a half show attender. Yep, I usually leave early. I know that is dreadful and I don't usually go with that intention but it does seem to work out that way. Whether is is a long day of work ahead, headache, semi-interested co-attendee or impatience in general I have lots of half viewed theater productions under my belt. However, I don't apologize. Even if I don't always make it to the end I go because it is moving and stunning and surprising. And all these emotions can come in an hour and half the same as three hours.

My latest excursion was to see the National Theater's Nutcracker. Everyone knows the Nutcracker, but I can assure you that you have never seen the Nutcracker quite like this. Youri Vamos, the Hungarian choreographer, used A Christmas Carol as his inspiration for the ballet. There was a touch of Nutcracker, a hint of Scrooge and whole heap of creativity. My absolute favorite was the transformation of the Mouse King into a very camp Devil. The whole theater erupted in laughter as a red-tighted, leather-clad devil shook his stuff to Tchaikovsky's classic orchestra notes.

Why do I go to the theater? Because in Prague, it is always a thrilling adventure in experimental creation.

For photos, info and booking of tickets visit: http://www.narodni-divadlo.cz/Default.aspx?jz=en&dk=predstaveni.aspx&sb=3&ic=4598

No comments: