Thursday, January 28, 2010

Soul-warming Soup



My resolution this year is to try a new restaurant every month. My pick for January isn't your typical sit-down and dine restaurant. Instead, it is a healthy happy experience.

About a month ago, one of my students told me about Bio Zahrada (Organic Garden). It is a little shop in Prague 2 which sells organic vegetables, natural cleaners, whole grains and cereals and has a lovely little cafe as well. It sounded like a place I just had to check it out for myself.

I popped in on a Wednesday afternoon. The staff was delightful. They were friendly and helpful. I was given several suggestions about products that were spot on for what I was after. I quickly accumulated an armful of goods. (I can suggest the honey products...yum!)

I still had some time to kill before my next class so I asked what was on the menu. There were several small tables with books, magazines and newspapers at the front of the store. Everything was made of natural wood making it inviting and cozy. Pumpkin was the soup of the day so I decided to warm myself up with a bowl before braving the cold again.

The pumpkin soup was smooth and creamy. It reminded me more of a thick pea soup. The bowl was large, the perfect lunch portion. The homemade bio bread on the side was an excellent companion.

So, Bio Zahrada is a great little place to warm your belly, fill your bags with healthy groceries and have a nice chat with friendly staff. Two thumbs up!

www.bio-zahrada.cz/en

No comments: