Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hvezda Park-The Star of Prague 6



I missed out on the 3.8k Family Fun run in May due to a stomach bug. But there is another charity run coming up in September and I am determined to get myself, healthy and whole, to this run. That means...I need to train.

Normally, I run up the hill near our flat to Ladronka Park (www.ladronka.com/cs). Ladronka deserves its own little blurb but that will come another day. But today I had a little more time on my hands and I wanted to push myself a bit so instead of going up the hill (which is a push in and of itself!) I decided to head to Hvezda Park.

The word hvezda means star in Czech. The park is called this after the shape of the 16th century hunting lodge that sits in the center. The hunting lodge is built in the shape of a 6-sided star. The park was built originally for the kings to have their own hunting playground. The park is surrounded by thick walls which allowed deer and other game to roam freely, until the hungry king was ready for a hunt.

Aside from all the great history, it's the perfect place for a run because it is exactly 1 kilometer from the main entrance gate to the hunting lodge. There are several other paths, some well maintained and graveled and some paths wander through the trees. You really feel like you are a million miles from the capital city.

After a few circuits around the park my muscles were happily tired and it was time to come home to dinner.




www.worldspan.homeandabroad.com/browse/details/sites.ha?mainInfoId=117420&tabRef=details&rqs=$rqs

www.prague.cz/summer-residence-hvezda/

No comments: