Saturday, September 13, 2008

White Mountain


Today was the perfect autumn day. The air was crisp and leaves crunched under my shoes. It was the perfect day for a battle.

In 1620 there was a battle. It happened on Bilá Hora (White Mountain). This is a hill that was once outside of the boarder of Prague, but now is part of Prague 6. The battle involved the Czechs and the Austrians. If you are really into history, then you can check out the links below to get all the details of this battle of the Thirty Years War. But the reason I'm going on and on about a war from hundreds of years ago is that I saw the battle. Today. At Bilá Hora.

No, I'm not crazy. No, I didn't see ghosts. Every year on Bilá Hora, an international collaboration of actors and enthusiasts join together to reenact the battle for the public. The public came out in droves. There were lots of kids dressed in 17th century clothing. There isn't much cuter in life then little kids dressed like mini-musketeers running around with wooden swords. Sometimes I'd kill to be eight again.

For a few hours this afternoon I lost myself in history. I recommend getting lost there sometime too. It's a fascinating place to be....so, perhaps I'll see you at Bilá Hora next autumn.






http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_White_Mountain

www.art-rkc.com/bilahora/

No comments: