Monday, July 7, 2008

Vanquishing Křivoklat

If you've ever wanted to travel back to the 1400s without all the mess of a time-traveling machine, then I would suggest the castle of Křivoklat. This is a proper castle. It sits above the town in all its medieval-ness just watching the centuries pass by.

The history of most castles is long and drawn out and Křivoklat is no exception. I've been on the tour several times and I know that throughout its history a king lived there, it was a school for underprivileged children, a prison, a hunting lodge, and the list goes on. But for me, the essence of Křivoklat is the dark ages feel of the walls and small courtyard. If Robinhood had been Czech then I'm sure he'd have spent some time around Křivoklat.

H. and I took our most recent visitors to meander around the 1400s a few weeks ago. Standing on the wall, looking over the hillside to the village below, we all felt that we could vanquish the enemy if he tried to attack our fortress. And as luck would have it, there was a man (in medieval costume of course) in the courtyard with crossbows, bows and arrows, string guns and more to let us practice our vanquishing skills. The boys did well. I'm willing to bet they'd played with these types of weapons before. Us girls, we held our own.

We all got a certificate saying we shot weapons at Křivoklat. I'm sure that will hang on the fridge for some time.

www.krivoklat.cz

No comments: