Sunday, July 6, 2008

19th Century Czech Art- Has to be seen!


It was the image of the red umbrella on the posters throughout the metro that caught my attention. Generally, it is art from a little later that catches my eye. For example, I love cubism and impressionism. But the red umbrella wouldn't let me go. The exhibition is being held at the Convent of St George at Prague Castle. Prague Castle just happens to be right down the street from me so I had no excuse, I had to go see the 19th century through Czech eyes.

The exhibition was well paced. I didn't feel rushed on to the next painting, nor did i feel any pressure to linger longer than necessary so people would think I was deeply contemplating some revelation on canvas.

I appreciated that there was a mix of art forms. Some of my favorite pieces were the furniture and clothing, not the paintings. The size of the waists on the hoop-skirt dresses was unbelievable. A man could easily put his hands around the waist, fingers and thumbs touching.

I also found two new artists of interest to me- Mánes and Chittussi. Their landscapes engaged me. I found myself wandering in their paintings, creating the story and escaping the gallery.

The best moment of the entire exhibition came at the end. I was only meters from the exit with only a few paintings left to go. Suddenly, I bumped into an old friend: A painting by Schikandeder called "Early Evening on Hradcany" (V podvečer na Hradčanech). This painting captures Prague for me. (And I have it to thank for the first date with my boyfriend...But that's a story for another day.)


www.ngprague.cz/3/detail/st-george-s-convent/

No comments: