Monday, April 18, 2011

SP: Came, Saw, Conquered Prague


I have vague memories of high school, most of them involve studying. I was a bit of a nerd. (I guess nothing has changed.) But some of my favorite memories involve my friend SP. She made me laugh, a lot.

And nothing has changed in 13 years! SP came to Prague and we laughed. A lot.

Having a visitor is what I like best about living abroad. I can show off what makes me tick: travel. The plan was to give SP a glimpse into the real Czech. We headed down to wine country in southern Moravia, a little town called Mikulov. It is my little France. Vineyards spread as far as the hills allow you to see. The people have that joviality that comes with uncorked bottles. We spent an evening in a wine cellar with a lovely bottle of Vlašsky Ryzlink (Riesling).

We took a little detour south to Vienna and took in the imperial sights for a few hours. Then on the way home we slept and supped in Český Krumlov, a fairy tale of a city. We toasted to Bohemian beers as a traditional Roma (Gypsy) band played in the corner of the pub.

I hope SP comes again soon. My stomach hadn't been treated to so many Czech dishes and so much Czech beer in years.

No comments: