Tuesday, October 12, 2010

There's nothing like fair food


Every autumn the quiet monastery across the street hosts a "pouť". This is a festival or fair that has its origins in the medieval pilgrimages. This pouť was dedicated to Saint Margaret and occurs every October. The piety of the occasion has been lost in time and replaced with twirling fair rides, flashing lights, fried foods and lots of alcohol.

I have several favorites that keep me coming back every year. I love the small market of handmade crafts, including candles, jewelery, glass and ornaments. Fresh baked goods, smoked cheeses, hot crepes, spicy sausages all make my mouth water and my tummy happy. The bumper cars are a family tradition with H's brothers and sisters. Small paper flowers won every year from the fairground shooting stand. Fireworks sparkling and dancing over the ancient monastery.

1 comment:

Jamie Garlick said...

I don't know what that is, but it looks delicious!