Wednesday, November 25, 2009

History Hunting in Žižkov


Twenty years ago this November the world changed. I'm sure in the past month you've been bombarded with images of the Berlin Wall falling, of crowds tinkling keys in Wenceslas Square and Romanians fighting in the streets back in 1989.

Prague did much to commemorate this event. There were outdoor exhibitions, radio and tv programs, newspaper articles. I felt close to this Czechoslovakia I've heard so much about but never actually seen. The country I live in is not that nation that I see in the photos and hear stories about.

And that connection to history is what excited me so much about the newly opened National Memorial on Vítkov Hill. The Memorial was built during the First Republic, in the 1930s, to commemorate the soldiers who fought in World War I. But under the Communist government it was converted to a mausoleum for Communist Leaders. The fate of the Memorial was uncertain in the 90s, but recently extensive renovations have been done and it now exhibits a complete and interactive history of the Czech Republic.

It's a must see for those interested in time travel, because it will open up a portal to the Czech past as you've never seen before.

www.nm.cz/expozice-detail.php?f_id=95

No comments: