Sunday, September 13, 2009

Run, Tasci, Run



In the spring I wanted to run a charity run. I got very ill the night before and spent the day in bed. I'd have rather been running...

So, I was determined to make the Tesco 3.8k Run for Life. The run supports cancer research. Now, 3.8k isn't a marathon but it's nothing to sneeze at. I've been running about 3k three to four times a week for the last few months so I knew I could do it physically, but still I was a bit nervous about running with, in and around so many people.

When I arrived at Old Town Square on Saturday evening, I had a little relief when I saw my co-runners. About half of them were either under 5 years old or over 60. Also, I could see by the footwear and clothing that many people were planning on taking a leisurely walk to the finish line.

The start was good. I felt strong about my pacing, even when I was passed by a woman with a baby stroller and her toddler. In fact, the first 3 kilometers were excellent. The only point at which I thought "Why??" was running on the cobblestone covered Mánesuv most (bridge). Cobblestones + Running = Sore Ankles.

The last 0.8 was the most rewarding. Nearly the entire length the finish line was in sight. Spectators were cheering and the mood was electric. There was also such a sense of community. There was one girl who wanted to give up. She was running with friends but she had stopped and was trying to climb over the barrier gate. She just kept saying, "I can't..I can't.." So several runners, including myself, started yelling "Come on!" and "You can do it!" Then the people watching began cheering her on and yelling encouragement. She put her head up and chin out, yelled "OK, I can" and made a mad dash for the finish.

I came in a few steps behind her, with a huge grin from ear to ear. I hope to see you there next year...or at least hear about the local charity run you will do in your community for your health and for the wellbeing of others.



www.praguemarathon.com/en/2009/tesco-prague-grand-prix/tesco-running-for-health-3-8-km/about-the-race