Saturday, June 20, 2009

Prague Museum Night 2009


I look forward every summer to Museum Night. It has been a fixture of the Prague cultural program for 5 years. I was introduced to it by my boyfriend, who used it to woo me and win me over to be his years ago. Museum Night is always a Saturday night in the middle of June when all the museums of Prague open their doors from 6.00pm-1.00am to the public for free.

Every year the crowds have grown, and last year it was overwhelming trying to get into any museum. So I decided this year I would only choose one or two I really wanted to see and try to avoid massive crowds. I went with my a place that always comforts me, and where smiles come easily. I visited the third floor of the Prague National Gallery in Veletržní palác. Czech and French artist from 1900 to 1930. I adore impressionism. The straight lines, the dabs of color, the world seen not as it is but as it is felt. I spent some time with Václav Špála, traveling on lines of rose and green to rivers of blue that flowed and pulled me into their depths.



I wanted to also go to the Museum of Czech Cubism at the Black Madonna house. However, the line was down the steps and backed out the door. I am willing to come back on a sleepy day in the future and pay for the privilegde of walking alone in the gallery. I walked from the Black Madonna house through bendy alleyways to Old Town Square. My camera came along on the trip with me and we got some good photos.

As the night dripped and covered the daylight and dark clouds rolled in, I found a tram to take me home.



www.prazskamuzejninoc.cz/clanek.php?id=1&l=en
http://www.ngprague.cz/en/16/sekce/national-gallery-in-prague/

No comments: