Friday, May 8, 2009

Jenštejn






For my 16th birthday I asked for a current world atlas. This sentence may be the best way to sum up my love of maps. Every border, river and small circle indicating a city that could be explored fills me with a feeling something like wonder and delight. And many a map has introduced me to some little wonderful bit of the world I'd never have found on my own.

And that is how we came to Jenštejn. After visiting the Prague Aviation Museum, which is a much visited and much loved favorite of ours, we had some time to kill. Out came the trusty old road map of the Czech Republic with its well marked "points of interest". The map told us that not far from the museum there was a small village called Jenštejn that had some ruins of a castle.

My experience with villages that are suppose to have ruins is that it involves a long walk through tall grass until you find a few old stones. That's it. But Jenštejn proved to be different. As we drove into the village the tower of the ruined castle stood in the center. We parked and walked towards the tower. A tiny street led us in a circle around the castle tower. A century or two ago the villages decided to build their little village houses around the base of the tower. Intriguing!


www.jenstejn.com/index.php?nid=6150&lid=CZ&oid=996475

(More of my photos at www.flickr.com/honza-tasci)

No comments: